Friday, July 26, 2019

We're raising a monarch!

Oh my, oh my.  IT IS HAPPENING.

We found a monarch egg and are raising it to a butterfly! 

I began monitoring an egg outside on a nearby milkweed plant on Sunday July 21st.  I googled (of course) to confirm as best that I could and checked on it each day. 

We came home from summer camp last night and IT HAD HATCHED!!

We carefully snipped off the tip of the plant with several other leaves, and have made him a temporary home until we can find a butterfly net (or wait for Amazon to deliver one if we can't find it locally).

He is VERY tiny, probably just a few millimeters right now, and looks mostly green, but you can see tiny black bands beginning to show up.  We can even see his tiny antennae!

We are so excited for this journey to metamorphosis! 


No comments:

Post a Comment